Sidepodcast - All for F1 and F1 for all

Robert Kubica undergoes surgery after rally crash in Italy - The Polish driver is airlifted to hospital after high-speed accident

Published by Christine

Robert Kubica during testing last week
Robert Kubica during testing last weekCredit: Andrew Ferraro/LAT Photographic

After a high-speed accident during a rallying event in Italy this morning, Robert Kubica is currently in hospital undergoing treatment for broken bones in his arms and legs. The accident occurred whilst the Renault driver took part in the Ronde di Andora Rally, and Kubica was air-lifted to hospital for extensive medical checks.

A statement from Renault confirms that Robert is currently in surgery to treat multiple fractures to his arm, leg and hand on the right side of his body. He is at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure.

An earlier update from the team confirmed that Robert's co-driver was unharmed in the crash. Kubica's manager, Daniel Morelli will be talking to the press over the next hour or so.

16:00 Autosport's Jon Noble reports a lengthly surgery for Kubica:

Kubica update: surgery set to finish at 8pm CET. No amputation of hand, but too soon to judge on functionality.

noblef1 noblef1

18:30 5live's David Croft has an update from the boss at Renault:

Have spoken to Éric Boullier who says Robert lost a lot of blood in his hand but ruled out amputation. Operation has gone well so far though. Éric Boullier also said it was far too early to think about a replacement for Robert in Bahrain, but more than likely he wouldn't be racing.

CroftyF1 CroftyF1

23:50 Renault have released an official statement this evening:

Robert Kubica underwent a seven-hour operation at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure this afternoon. The Lotus Renault GP driver had been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm and leg.

Doctors are reasonably satisfied with the way the operation went. Tonight, Robert’s condition remains stable but serious. He has been placed into an induced coma and could be woken up in the morning.

- Press Release, Lotus Renault GP

Seven doctors worked on Kubica for seven hours, a spokesman for the San Paolo Hospital in Savona noted "Robert’s hand was well vascularised and warm, which is encouraging".

Day 2 A further update from the Renault team, the morning following Kubica's accident:

After spending the night under constant observation, [Robert] was briefly woken up by the doctors of the Santa Corona Hospital this morning. The Lotus Renault GP driver was then able to talk to his relatives. He was also able to move his fingers, which is encouraging for the rest of his recovery process.

- Press Release, Lotus Renault GP