One day after confirming they would not be going ahead with their technical partnership with Honda, the Sauber F1 Team have revealed they will continue with Ferrari power. The team currently use Ferrari’s engines, and have been partnered with the Italian manufacturer since the late 1990s. Their current partnership involves them running last year’s engine but the new deal looks set to run “the latest power unit specification as of 2018.”
Frédéric Vasseur, new team principal, who has joined the team at a turbulent time, it seems, says: “I am very pleased to confirm that we’ll continue to work with Ferrari as our engine supplier in the form of a multi-year agreement. The shared experience between Sauber and Ferrari has built a strong foundation, which will allow us to move forward swiftly and efficiently.”
Meanwhile, Honda have said the deal with Sauber fell through because once Monisha left, the squad changed their attitude towards collaboration, ie. Having a Japanese driver, or sharing facilities for development. Honda say they are in talks with other teams instead.
Filed under F1Minute
References BMW Sauber, Sauber F1 Team
Previous story Sauber confirm technical partnership with Honda will not go ahead
Next story Daniel Ricciardo leads Friday practice at the Hungaroring
365 F1 stories