Sidepodcast // All for F1 and F1 for all

Next race: Chinese Grand Prix, Shanghai
F1Minute // Bitesize Formula One news

Ron Dennis removed as head of McLaren by shareholders // An acrimonious split takes place at Woking

Published by Christine Blachford

Ron Dennis removed as head of McLaren by shareholders
Credit: McLaren Honda
Ron Dennis removed as head of McLaren by shareholders audio waveform
00:01:00
Slow

Ron Dennis has been in charge of the McLaren Group for over three decades, but his position as boss of the successful sporting organisation came to an abrupt end this week. Dennis owns 25% of McLaren, but the other 75% is owned by a Bahrain investment group and businessman Mansour Ojjeh – both of whom have decided that Dennis’ tenure at the top is over due to a lack of confidence in his style of leadership.

Ron says: “I’m disappointed that the other main shareholders in McLaren have forced through this decision to place me on gardening leave, despite the strong warnings from the rest of the management team about the potential consequences of their actions on the business. The grounds they have stated are entirely spurious – my management style is the same as it has always been and is one that has enabled McLaren to become an automotive and technology group that has won 20 Formula 1 world championships and grown into an £850 million a year business.”

At 69 years old, Ron may have been starting to think about retirement, but now it’s been forced upon him, it doesn’t look like he’s going to go quietly.




Buy from Amazon - Pocket F1 Handbook: Guide to the 2015 Grand Prix Season

365 F1 stories

What was the infamous excuse McLaren gave, when they confirmed on this day in '05 that Montoya would miss a race?

F1 team launches
Sauber F1 TeamOnline20 Feb
Renault Sport F1 TeamTBC21 Feb
Sahara Force India F1 TeamSilverstone, England22 Feb
Mercedes AMG Petronas MotorsportSilverstone, England23 Feb
McLaren HondaTBC24 Feb
Scuderia FerrariFiorano, Italy24 Feb
Williams Martini RacingTBC25 Feb
Haas F1 TeamTBC26 Feb
Red Bull RacingOnline26 Feb
Scuderia Toro RossoBarcelona, Spain26 Feb
F1 test schedule
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain27 Feb
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain28 Feb
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain1 Mar
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain2 Mar
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain7 Mar
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain8 Mar
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain9 Mar
Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaSpain10 Mar

On this day in F1 history