We do a lot of work for charity
Where possible, Sidepodcast likes to help out motorsport related charities. In 2009, the F1 community got together to take part in a 12 hour radio marathon to raise money for a good cause. Following the successful completion of the broadcast, the community voted to give all £680 of collected proceeds to the Wings for Life Foundation.
Wings for Life was founded in 2004 by Dietrich Mateschitz, owner of the Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team. The team recognised the efforts of the radio marathon on their website.
In 2010, Christine made her first foray into running, and signed up to complete a 5K race, raising funds for the Grand Prix Mechanics Charitable Trust. Thanks to the kind support of the Sidepodcast community, Christine raised £231 for this very worthy charity. The Trust supports retired and injured mechanics after their time in motorsport has come to an end.
A short history of nearly everything
- Christine blends the terms Sidepod and Podcast. One domain name purchase later and Sidepodcast goes live
- A weekly audio show forms the backbone of the content, augmented by an initial foray into video production
- Honda Racing provide us with posh-camping accomodation for the British Grand Prix
- F1Minute, a sixty second Formula 1 audio podcast makes its public debut
- Live commenting of all F1 sessions begins with first practice at the Australian Grand Prix
- Christine and Mr. C get married
- We podcast live from the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere as Honda Racing provide us with posh-camping accomodation for the British Grand Prix (again)
- Live streaming of shows begins with a behind-the-scenes look at making videos
- Sidepodcast is nominated in two categories in the 2008 Weblog Awards
- An Aside With Joe makes its debut
- Christine meets Rob Smedley at Silverstone, while Honda having quit the sport provide us with nothing
- Sidepodradio raises £680 for the Wings for Life charity
- The daily thread makes its debut
- The most in-depth and accurate global driver ranking system ever produced (probably), appears for the first time
- The all new Factbyte Factbox provides play-by-play commentary on F1 sessions
- F1Minute iPhone app is released
- Christine's first book 365 F1 Stories is released for the Kindle
- 28 March becomes official International Day of Petrov
- The final daily thread is published
- We send out F1Minute stickers to anyone keen to spread the word and a set of stickers make it to the South Pole
- A new Live Event system is unveiled
- Christine launches the Pocket F1 Handbook
- Live audio streaming makes a welcome return
- A pilot episode of Radio Active F1 is aired
- The all new F1 encyclopedia makes its public debut
- New areas for the Scrapbook and Collections are created
- We experiment with magazine-style article layouts
- Sidepodcast becomes the new home of F1 Big Picture
Almost award winning
At various times, this site has been nominated for a number of awards. Here are a few of them.
365 F1 stories
On this day in '07, Scott Speed spoke out against his STR bosses and was soon out of F1. Which driver replaced him?